Friday 18 November 2016

The speed of eating

I have always taken my time to eat a meal. I really dislike rushing with food. I rather just have a fruit or a little something if I don't have time to eat. I guess it's related to the body experience as well as practising meditation. If you are used to being in the Now, then you don't rush with food. Taste, appreciate and become one or refuse the bite. I believe that by observing how someone is having their meal you can sense many things about the person. During my studies and the process of creating Breakfast I was working in a fast paced restaurant, serving food. The clients were mostly from the corporate world, having limited time for a meal, so making and serving food asap was essential. Now, 8 months after filming this work I understood why I have chosen this setup for my idea. By extending the cutlery I left no other choice to my performers as to take it slow. It was not just my philosophical contemplation about the experience of ones sense of autonomy and connecting, but it was also about taking the time to eat and being fully there. On one hand it's kind of super obvious - the work was filmed 50 frames per second. It was played in slow motion, however I did not connect it to the restaurant world right away. It's silly, but I just realized it today, after my lunch shift.

I think that one of the roles of an artist is to make people slow down for a moment and reflect on the environment they live in. This comes naturally - we observe, digest and then we spill out.

If I can find myself confronted with real life, real characters, real issues, it serves as food for my creative process and becomes an essential part of my development. I'm feeding people and they are feeding me, and I'm an autonomous artist.





I have started a fb page for my new publication - The art of switching gears. It will be a personal research about the relativity of slow and fast

There is 1 book left from the previous publication, 120 eur. In collaboration with a graphic designer Steven Lenoir





No comments:

Post a Comment